Saturday, June 27, 2015

Oh the Math!

Sorry about not posting - I am taking a summer math class which basically compresses a semester into 20 days.  It's required for me to graduate (LAST CLASS!) and I'm normally not great at Math but this is Math for Liberal Arts and so far - I have an A!!  Not much reading is getting done, though, outside of the textbook.  I do have a few reviews to post, though.

I read "Uprooted" by Naomi Novik and loved it.  It's definitely an adult fantasy (that means there is a wee bit of sex). But it's quite good.  It loosely (very loosely) builds on Baba Yaga.  If anyone else out there reads it, I'd be interested in your thoughts. 
Pretty cool cover, don't you think?


Next up is "Lost in NYC: a Subway Adventure" which is a graphic novel by Nadja Spiegelman & Sergio García Sánchez.  It's about...  new friends, getting lost on a class field trip, the New York City subway system, and the Empire State Building.  At the end of the book, the illustrator explains that while he was taking photos in the subway for his illustrations, a policeman kept watching him. So if you search through the pages, you will find Sergio and the policeman in the illustrations.  The history of the subway and the Empire State Building are both pretty awesome also.  This one has been getting some early award buzz so be sure to check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment