Saturday, August 15, 2015

CELEBRATE! CELEBRATE!

Wow!  So much happening!  I finally earned my Bachelors in Information Science and finished up my Internship at Frisco Library.  Because of the wonderful encouragement that I received there, I applied for the MLIS program at UNT and was accepted!  I also applied for a position in youth services at Smith Library - and was hired!  In between all of that, we went on a short trip to Pittsburgh and Northern Virginia so we got to see lots of family and friends.  And I even managed to read a few books in the midst of all this mayhem.  Classes start on August 24th - Graphic Novels and Youth Literature.  So expect to see quite a bit of that in the not too distant future.  In the mean time - Here's what I've been reading!

I have read a LOT of picture books and here, in no particular order, are a few of my favorites!

Yak and Gnu by Juliette MacIver - all about boats and animals and counting!  Lots of fun for K - 2.

Touch the Brightest Star by Christie Matheson - A similar concept to Tullet's Press Here, this is an interactive book about night time.  Best shared one on one but you might be able to adapt it for use in a PreK story time.

Bee Dance by Rick Chrustowski -  I loved this basic introduction to how bees communicate. I shared it with my almost 4 year old granddaughter and she thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it could be easily incorporated into a preK story time on insects or bees.  It's non-fiction - and engaging!

Jampires by Sarah McIntyre -  Oh no! All the jam is missing from the jelly doughnut! Who would do such a thing? The almost 4 year old in my life LOVED this book. We read it at least ten times. This would be a great read-aloud for the preK-1st group. It could be read close to Halloween (inspiring a whole generation of Jampires) or as part of a story time on food or sweets or donuts... lots of possibilities with this one!

For somewhere in between tween and teen - I highly recommend Skink - No Surrender by Carl Hiaasen.  I have read Hoot and Chomp but this -- this is simply phenomenal.  Because of the character Skink and the bizarre situations in which he and Richard find themselves immersed - literally! It all started when Richard's cousin, Malley (14 years old!) decides to run away with some guy she met on the internet. (again - 14!!)  So, naturally Richard (also 14) has to go and find her. Fortunately Skink decides to come along to help.  This has inspired me to read Hiaasen's other books (written for a much older audience), in search of more encounters with the wonderful Skink.  So who would I give this book to?  Any 12 - 14 year old.  It should appeal to both guys and girls.  It's funny and dramatic and just a fun read.  If you read it, you might even be able to sell it to a reluctant reader.  

Speaking of Hiaasen's adult books, Joe and I listened to Nature Girl on the way to Pittsburgh. It's funny - and involves a two-timing telemarketer, a slightly crazy mom named Honey Santana and her ex-husband Perry - and their skateboarding son, Fry.  And Sammy Tigertail, a part-Seminole - who tends to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Mostly.  Zany is a good word for it.  I will be listening to more of Hiaasen (I have a long commute in my future!)
We also listened to All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.  I had read it last year before our trip to Europe but it was new to Joe.  It was very well done.  If you have not read this, I highly recommend it.
We ended the trip by listening to The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson. The recording was well done. The book was similar to the Harry Potter series in many ways - so this would be a GREAT book to give to the 12 - 18 year olds that want something like Harry.  This is Book 1 - Book 2 is scheduled for 2017.  Mr Sanderson is a busy man!

Another tween/teen that I just finished last night is Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos and her husband David Teague.  This is a Bluebonnet nominee - which is how I found it.  It was very different than I thought it would be - in some ways, I would compare it to Savvy by Ingrid Law or A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd. It involves time travel but it's also about family and friendship and believing in people.  But it's slightly darker than the other two books.  It will probably appeal more to girls - if they liked Savvy and Snicker, they should like this one also. 

But my favorite tween book (or possibly my favorite book...) was Circus Mirandus by by Cassie Beasley.  It was amazing! It's all about hope and magic and faith.  Briefly - Micah's grandfather is dying - and he's the only person Micah has left. But the Lightbender owes his grandfather a miracle. So there is always hope. Just wait until the wind changes. And follow the sound of pipes and drums to Circus Mirandus. Just make sure you have your ticket. I would give this to anyone to read that is over the age of ten.  It is simply delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment