Saturday, December 26, 2020

 WHY DO YOU READ?

 I am retired!  Hooray?  Maybe.  Eventually.  But it seemed like the best thing to do - so I am retired.  And I have a LOT of time on my hands!  So - I hope to read and/or talk about a book every day in 2021.  "A book a day...."  Does what?  How would you fill in the blank?  Which goes along with -- Why do I read? 

I read for pleasure! I am learning to enjoy reading again. It has been a bit of a challenge over the past 9 months. I could listen to audio books.  I had a long-ish commute so it occupied the time. And I could read picture books. But longer books were more difficult. But I am starting to read more. I am borrowing eBooks from the library. I find I can read on my phone a bit more easily than from a physical book. This has nothing to do with physical hurdles - it is all mental. Can't really explain it - just the way it is. 

I also read for research and to discover new information. And I read because I have to though that will be different now that I am not actively developing a collection in a library. 

I hope to explore a different kind of book on different days. What kinds of books?

Award books - like the new Newbery and Caldecott near the end of January and the current list of Bluebonnets plus the ones nominated for this year.

Picture books because I think everyone should read picture books.  There is a lot of information and some wonderful illustrations packed into a small number of pages.

Adult books?  Teen books? Tween books? Hopefully. 

Informational books.  I enjoy reading non-fiction and biography also.  And graphic novels. 

What about you?  Why do you read? And what do you read? Where do you discover your new (and old) books? Did you receive books for the holidays? I did! I have already made a recipe from Modern Comfort Food.  But I am guessing I will read Serpentine first - it's part of His Dark Materials by Pullman. A new Lyra story!

Image may contain: text that says 'modern comfort food Beneath Moon MYTHS. FAIRY TALES. TORIES ROUND the WORLD Yoshi Yoshitani LUCY NEW TIMES STEPPIN KNISL HIS DARK MATERIALS illuminating STONE tory THE SERPENTIN BOO THE BOOK ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF THE OXFORD PULLMAN PULLMAN llusthatedby TOMDU PHILIP RY'


No comments:

Post a Comment