Friday, January 14, 2022

   ANTICIPATION 

56817296. sx318   54883652. sx318 

It has been a while since my last post! My apologies. During a yearly dermatology check, an abnormality was discovered. Or, as a nurse at UT Southwestern described it - An uninvited guest moved into my body! So I have spent the last two months kicking out the freeloader. It was a malignant melanoma which was removed on December 21. My amazing surgeon did an excellent job and I am oh so thankfully cancer free but ever watchful. And I am sporting a lovely 3 inch scar on my left arm. Anyway - that plus the holidays have sucked up a lot of my time. But -- BUT -- the Youth Media Awards are very soon! Monday, January 24th to be precise. And I am awaiting them with great anticipation. I'm not sure if I will be disappointed if a certain book does not garner recognition... possibly in the Caldecotts. I have a few favorite picture books from this year - like It Fell from the Sky by The Fan Brothers. They live in Canada but I recently learned that they are eligible for the Caldecott - maybe because they were born in Hawaii? So fingers crossed for them! And I would like to see Guess What!? receive some Eisner love but there are so many excellent beginning reader books out there. And Mo certainly has his fair share of book awards. But it is very cute and clever! Both of these books talk about anticipation and disappointment which are certainly things that crop up daily in everyone's lives but specifically in the lives of our little ones. I am anticipating writing more about the awards over the next few days and hopefully, I won't disappoint!

It Fell from the Sky written and illustrated by The Fan Brothers; published September 28, 2021

Ah the Fan Brothers! I love their work.
One day (Thursday, to be precise) it fell from the sky and landed in the garden. The critters living in the garden had differing opinions on what - exactly - "it" was. Some thought it must be something from outer space. A Frog thought it was a gumdrop but - no. It did not taste sweet. Luna moth thought it might be a chrysalis. But spider saw it as an opportunity. He knew that folks would pay to see this wonder. And they did! Until - one day - catastrophe! A five legged critter picked it up and walked away. But Spider did not see disaster - he saw opportunity! And immediately began constructing more webs to expand WonderVille.
I loved the iridescent marble - the one thing full of color in a shades of black and gray and white world (at least for the first few pages). I liked Spider lurking in the background - almost from the beginning! See if you can find him. There is no doubt about Spider's character - he is crafty and selfish. But he does offer the world a bit of wonder - just like a dew-bedazzled web spotted on a sunny day. Wonders come and wonders go. But there's always someone wanting to see one - and someone willing to put the wonders on display. Though it is interesting to ponder how quickly - and easily - Spider was able to claim ownership of the wonder. As always - the Fan Brothers provide fantastic art and deep mysteries to mull over.
Also - be sure to peek under the dust jacket! The cover illustrations are different. I enjoyed listening to an interview with the Fans where they talked about their lifelong fascination with and collection of marbles.

 

It Fell from the Sky 

Guess What!? (Unlimited Squirrels #4) written and illustrated by Mo Willems; published October 5, 2021

A very cute book which manages to disguise learning with tons of fun! Readers will learn a bit about the beach but they will learn even more about anticipation and disappointment.
Zoom Squirrel is very excited about an upcoming trip to the beach -- but what does a squirrel do at the beach? And which is better - anticipating something exciting? Or the actual experience?
I anticipate this will receive some Eisner Award love - but I may be disappointed. Also, I was excited to see Duckling. Sort of...


I would pair this with It Fell from the Sky. Both Spider and Zoom Squirrel anticipate things. And I love Zoomy's response to potential disappointment. A fine lesson for us all!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment