Monday, January 30, 2023

 PRESENTING THE 2023 NEWBERY AND CALDECOTT!

Part One!

 
The Newbery was awarded to Freewater by debut author Amina Luqman-Dawson. I think this was a surprise for everyone. I had heard of the book but my library doesn't own it (yet!) so I have not read it. It is historical - twelve-year old Homer escapes from Southerland Plantation with his little sister Ada. They find a secret community in the swamp called Freewater where other former slaves live along with some children born there in freedom. I am looking forward to reading it!
 
And I actually listed the Caldecott winner on my prediction posting! I am thrilled that Hot Dog by Doug Salati won the award. It is a lovely book about a precious pup that has had enough of the hot city day. His owner understands and takes her sweet dog to the beach for a day of cooling off. It's a sweet, lovely book. I hope everyone reads it. I bet your library has it.
 
NEWBERY HONORS 
     
Maizy Chen and Sai are both formidable female protagonists. The Last Mapmaker is a fantasy; Maizy Chen's Last Chance is historical fiction mystery! I loved both of them. And learned a lot from reading Maizy Chen.

CALDECOTT HONORS
     
So happy to see Jason Reynolds win a Caldecott Honor. And Knight Owl is adorable - everyone should read these books.
 
 Coretta Scott King Book Award
 
  
Freewater won the author award; Standing in the Need of Prayer won for illustrator.

Coretta Scott King Author Honor Awards
 
 
 

Coretta Scott King Illustrator Honor Awards
 
   
Very happy Swim Team won! It's a graphic novel - highly recommended.

 Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe New Talent Author Award and Illustrator Award

    

Michael L. Printz Award for excellence in literature written for Young Adults
 
  
I really like this author but I have not read this one yet!
 
And the Printz Honor books
       

Schneider Family Book Award 
for books that that  embody an artistic expression of the disability experience
 
    
      
    
Alex Awards 
for the ten best adult books that appeal to teen audiences
            



No comments:

Post a Comment