Friday, August 4, 2023

BACK TO SCHOOL!

Here are a few of my favorite first day/back to school books. Some are silly. Some deal with those first day jitters. Others tackle tough issues - like feeling left out; people saying unkind things; and folks not taking the time to learn how to pronounce your name.  Everyone should work hard to be kind and helpful. Reading some of these books might make that easier. There are also a few selections for older kids. I'm including Simon Sort of Says because it is a wonderful book - but be aware that Simon is the sole survivor of a school shooting. When I first heard about it, I did not want to read it but everyone kept saying how great it was -- so I eventually picked it up and I'm glad I did. I think tweens (and adults) will find hope, encouragement, and even a few laughs. I know that's hard to believe but the author does a really great job with this difficult but all too common topic.
 
At the bottom there are two new books that will be published next spring that I am looking forward to reading!
 
            Big by Vashti Harrison            
    
    
 

Another new Kate DiCamillo book is coming in April 2024 - Orris and Timble. It is about a unique friendship between a rat and an owl. It is 80 pages long so a beginning chapter book is my guess. Just look at that adorable owl! Which one do you think is Orris? And if you liked, We Don't Eat our Classmates!, there's a new Penelope Rex in March 2024. Just in time for someone's birthday!

May be an image of owl and text that says 'KATE DICAMILLO ORRIS AND TIMBLE The Beginning ILLUSTRATED BY CARMEN MOK'

           

No comments:

Post a Comment