Friday, January 3, 2014

What I read in 2013 

That I would recommend.  Let me explain "recommend" a bit -- it is in reference to people in my life.  Would I give it to my precious granddaughter?  Or - to one of my nieces?  If the answer is "Yes" - then it is recommended with that point of view in mind.  It may have a few cautions added to it, though.  

PICTURE BOOKS (in no particular order)  These books are all recommended!  There are more but I am trying to limit myself to no more than ten in each category.

Nighty-Night Cooper by Laura Numeroff ~ A sweet bed time book with a twist - little songs made up to familiar tunes.  I think this is a wonderfully creative book that could spark much imitation at home.  Highly recommended.

Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great! by Bob Shea ~ A fun book about preconceived notions.  Don't judge someone until you try to understand where they are coming from.  Goat and unicorn = friends after all.  I saw Mr. Shea read this at TBF - too much fun!  

Mr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter Brown - How to go from super proper to wild and then find a happy medium.  If you own the book, peek under the dust cover for a look at the cover underneath.  This one has some Caldecott buzz.  Time will tell.

 Battle Bunny by Jon Scieszka and Mac Barnett ~  I seriously love these guys.  I wish there was some way to determine how much Jon Scieszka has done to encourage reading.  Have you ever wanted to take one of those cute little Golden Books and change it into something --  a bit darker?  That's what they have done with this book.  Hilarious.  

If You Want to See a Whale by Julie Fogliano and illustrated by Erin Stead ~  I love everything Erin Stead illustrates.  This is no exception.  How would you go about trying to see a whale?  

Count the Monkeys by Mac Barnett ~ Try to count the monkeys!  Except -- other animals keep scaring them away.  Very interactive; very fun!

That is NOT a Good Idea! by Mo Willems ~ What happens when a hungry fox invites a plump goose over for a visit?  Another interactive delight!  

Bluebird by Bob Staake ~ A wordless book about loneliness, bullying, and looking for friends in unexpected places.  Also has a smidgen of Caldecott buzz. Share this one with K and up.  

Hello, My Name is Ruby by Philip C. Stead ~ Follow Ruby, our tiny avian protagonist, as she ventures forth into the big world in search of friends.  Love the Steads! They write great picture books.  

The Matchbox Diary by Paul Fleischman ~ A great-grandfather shares his very unique diary - a cigar box filled with matchbooks which created as an Italian-American immigrant before he could read or write.  Follow along as he shares his journey with his great-granddaughter!  Share this one with K and up.  





No comments:

Post a Comment