Saturday, September 1, 2012

1963 marked the publication of "Rascal, A Memoir of a Better Era" by Sterling North.  I turned seven that year and, at some point, my mother read the book to my brother and me.  The book is a remembrance of Sterling's childhood - the year he was eleven and raised a baby raccoon named Rascal.  His mother was dead, his father a bit distant and preoccupied.  This gave him plenty of time to have adventures with Rascal!  It is one of my favorites - and there is a lovely Norwegian neighbor who looks out for Sterling and helps him nurse the tiny raccoon.  One of the expressions they used was "Ishkabibble!  I should worry!"  Now, if you Google ishkabibble, you will come up with some interesting information - it was the name of a character on a TV show, some folks think it is made up Yiddish, etc.  But for me, it is a fondly remembered line from a beloved book.  Isn't it amazing how books touch our lives and shade our memories?  

So - this blog is all things bookish.  Some old; most new.  I hope to post daily but since I am currently pursuing a Bachelors of Science in Library Science, well -- you may end up reading some of my assignments.  

In an attempt to be semi-organized - 
Mondays will be for memories.  These are books that I remember from childhood.  Or that I read to my boys as they were growing up.

Tuesdays are Newsdays.  I hope to link to articles on wonderful new ideas for libraries and books.  For example, last Tuesday's Diane Reim Show, on NPR, was all about e-books and libraries.  http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2012-08-28/e-books-and-libraries  Take a listen if you get a chance.  Or just read through the comments.  

Wednesdays are for YA - or Young Adult literature.  My YA news from last week is that Moira Young is publishing a sequel to "Blood Red Road"! It is titled "Rebel Heart" and will be released on October 30th.  Woo-hoo!  More adventures with Saba and Jack!

Thursdays will be all those wonderful children's books!  My granddaughter has discovered cabinet doors.  The opening and shutting of them.  I think it may be time for "Meeow and the Pots and Pans" by Sebastien Braun!

Friday is for audio books.  I have a 20 minute commute to the library on those days that I work.  And longer commutes to other places.  So I listen to audio tapes.  It's a good exercise in self-control because I have to restrain myself from finding a print copy of the book in order to keep reading!  Right now I am listening to "Seraphina" by Rachel Hartman.  It's about an alternate world - Medieval time frame - and dragons.  Need I say more?  

Saturday and Sunday will be for the odds and ends - the occasional adult book that I read.  I just finished "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachel Joyce.  Hmmm.  I think I read a lot of British authors.  It is charming and poignant and not what you think it will be.  It has a tiny bit of bad language, though.  So be forewarned.  
Or it may be for the occasional movie that I see.  Or anything else that needs doing.

And so the journey begins.  Thanks for loving books and libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment