Saturday, September 15, 2012

LA LA LA LA LA

My assignment for my Children's Literature class this week was to review some of the journals that are published to help make choosing books a bit easier on the folks that purchase books for libraries.  

There are several such publications - The Hornbook and School Library Journal are devoted to children's literature.  Kirkus, Publisher's Weekly, and Booklist review all types of books.  The Hornbook is my favorite.  I even received a subscription as a gift this year and I read it from cover to cover almost as soon as it arrives.  

The purpose of the assignment was to help us find current books to supplement the lists provided in our textbook.  Thus we had to look at reviews and select five books - all published in 2012 - that would be appropriate for my focus group (K-3). And I had to tie them together with a theme.  I chose singing as my theme and these are the books that I listed: 

Monkey and Elephant  by Carole Lexa Schaefer - I have not had a chance to read this one yet but it is compared to Lobel's "Frog and Toad" series.  It is divided into short chapters.  It's about Monkey and Elephant's friendship.  And, in one chapter, they need to sing to solve a problem.

It's Raining, It's Pouring by Peter, Paul and Mary - A lovely book illustrated by Christine Davenier.  The story opens with Grandpa hitting his head, of course.  And then it begins to rain.  There is a CD included so if you have never heard Peter, Paul, and Mary's version of the song, then you can listen - and sing along - as you read the book.  

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons  by Eric Litwin   - I love all of the Pete the Cat books.  Though this may be my favorite.  Pete has four buttons on his favorite shirt - unfortunately, one button pops off.  And then another.  But does he cry?  Goodness no!  He just keeps on singing.  

Penny and Her Song by Kevin Henkes - this is a new series of early readers about an adorable little mouse named Penny.  She comes home from school one day all ready to share her song with the family but - the babies are sleeping and she might wake them up! Will Penny ever get to sing her song?  What do YOU think will happen?  It's delightful - and there's more!  Penny and Her Doll and Penny and Her Marble are on the horizon.  


Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy  by Jan Thomas - This one actually has not even been published yet but - what can I say?  It has cows.  

Happy reading - and singing!  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment