Wednesday, September 5, 2012

IT'S YA WEDNESDAY!

And YA stands for Young Adult Lit!  September is a big publishing month so today's post will be a preview of a few books to look forward to in the fall.  I have not seen or read any of these - I have just read a bit about them.  And my interest was piqued.  

The first one is "The Raft" by S. A. Bodeen.  It's about a 15-year old girl named Robie.  Through a series of circumstances - including a plane crash - she ends up on a raft in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  And then on a deserted island.  The description reminded me of "Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen but with a female protagonist.  I want to read this one!  

Next is Jasper Fforde's "The Last Dragonslayer".  The Hornbook review said it was similar to Terry Pratchett in tone.  Dragons.  Or possibly the last dragon.  And the Kazam Mystical Arts Management.  And a young girl named Jennifer Strange.  Mr. Fforde usually writes books for adults; I started reading "The Eyre Affair" but could not get into it.  But I might give "The Last Dragonslayer" a try.

Speaking of Terry Pratchett, he also has a new book coming out on September 25th - "Dodger".  I believe it is a cross between fantasy and historical Victorian England.  Charles Dickens, Benjamin Disraeli, and - of course - The Artful Dodger himself.  

And, of course, "Son" by Lois Lowry.  The long-awaited final book in the series that began with "The Giver".  

Libba Bray has a new series coming out for older teens - "The Diviners" is the first book.  I do enjoy Libba Bray!  I will need to check this one out.

Last, but not least, is Gary D. Schmidt's "What Came from the Stars".   The hero of our story is Tommy Pepper - 12 years old, mourning the death of his mother.  And then there is a planet in outer space.  And a chain that ends up in Tommy's lunchbox that originated on this planet.  It's said to have "Tolkienesque" language and if one likes Gaiman then...  'nuf said.  

I will post comments about which ones I actually manage to read!  

No comments:

Post a Comment