Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy 2013!

I am sorry I have neglected my blog - I did manage to finish up my first semester back to school!  Huzzah!  And then the holidays descended with a whoosh!  And even with a White Christmas - which in our neck of the woods is  a rarity!  

But I have been reading.  In fact, I even won a Kindle at Staff Development Day at my library.  So now I have lots of free books on my Kindle.  I think I may have actually even paid a small pittance for one of them....  

So let me tell you about a couple of YA books that I finished reading this week.  The first is "Crewel" by Gennifer Albin

Just to be fair - Amazon had the first five chapters of this book available for free on Kindle. Once I started reading it, I was hooked (not intending to pun the Crewel title...)
If you liked "The Giver" by Lois Lowry or "The Hunger Games" by Collins - or if you enjoyed the Matrix movies - then you should give "Crewel" a try. It is a post-apocalypse story and the premise is that our world is woven by women - called Spinsters - who are selected because of their abilities to weave on a loom. Adelice has reached the age to be tested but her parents do not want her to be a "Spinster" so they have trained her to hide her talent. And that is how the story begins - with Adelice being compelled to reveal her hidden talents and being swept into the world of the weavers. 
Very original premise. I will be interested to read the second book.

Crewel by Gennifer Albin

No comments:

Post a Comment